Permanent f/t (37.5 hrs pw)
We are looking for a Farm Manager to oversee and progress the National Trust's in-hand livestock operation in the beautiful area of the Cotswolds. The conservation grazing cattle herd is amongst the largest and most recognised in the National Trust. We are seeking someone who can drive our ambitions forward, delivering first class conservation grazing management for the National Trust and numerous other landowners we provide bespoke grazing.
What it's like to work here
You will be joining a group of 9 National Trust countryside staff based at the bustling, rural estate office at Ebworth, situated in 1200 acres of National Trust farmland and woodland. Despite its tranquil and picturesque setting, Ebworth is very conveniently located, less than 30 minutes from Cheltenham, Gloucester, Stroud and Cirencester.
The team at Ebworth are a progressive and dynamic group of people, who are passionate about their work and enjoy working as a team. You will be working as well beyond the ownership boundaries of the National Trust, using a variety of contract grazing agreements. In total an area of 185 hectares are currently grazed by the herd.
What you'll be doing
As Farm Manager, you will be fully responsible for the conservation grazing operation. This includes overseeing the livestock husbandry - the herd is RSPCA Freedom Food Farm Assured since 2001, organising a work programme to incorporate the grazing obligations over 185ha of species rich grassland, many of which are designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest. You will be directly managing a part time member of staff to assist you with the livestock. The livestock are operated as a commercial enterprise, you will be fully responsible for delivering a sales income budget and managing an expenditure budget. The record keeping requirements for this role is very important and requires diligent organisational skills and accuracy.
This is a very outward facing role. You will be working closely with individuals and organisations to carry out grazing obligations and looking to regularly review to maximise opportunities to expand our work. At all times, you will be acting to protect and enhance the National Trust's assets and reputation. This will see you promoting and championing the work of the conservation grazing operation and looking at ways to improve this area of work.
Who we're looking for
· Experienced, skilled and confident in practical cattle management. You will need to demonstrate this ability at interview.
· Strong organisational skills, an eye for detail, accurate record keeping.
· Strong inter-personal skills, willing to positively engage with colleagues, volunteers, stakeholders and the wider public.
· Willing to engage with the media, promoting and championing the work of the conservation grazing herd.
· Business acumen, financial planning and a flair for entrepreneurial opportunism.
· Experience of driving and operating tractors.
· Experienced of towing trailers
· Flexible working whenever possible.
· Free parking at most locations.
· Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
· Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18).
· Generous annual leave.
· Subsidised health cash plan.
· Free 24-hour support service.
· Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary.
· Training & Development tailored to you.
· Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.
· Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.
To find out more and apply for this role, please follow: https://careers.nationaltrust.org.uk/OA_HTML/a/?_ga=2.261711437.1563843044.1551970017-818348537.1551970017#/vacancy-detail/90225
Closing Date: 28 February 2020
Provisional Interview Date: 11 March 2020