A dairy farm based in Grassington, Skipton are looking to recruit a Herdsman. Currently 200+ cow herd and followers. Milking is undertaken twice daily.
The role is permanent & is a key role within the farming operation.
Reporting directly to the Herd Manager, the successful applicant must be a conscientious, honest individual who can work well within a team.
This is a physically demanding role and the duties required are as follows:
- To be responsible for the general welfare and care of livestock
- To milk cows
- To handle the movement of stock.
- Be responsible for feeding stock.
- Be responsible for bedding stock
- Be responsible for calving cows.
- Scraping slurry both by hand and tractor.
- Washing down both hand and pressure washer and CIP.
- General cleaning and keeping tidy the farm & yards.
- Loading/unloading feedstuffs both by hand and machine.
- Field work either by hand or machine.
- When operating tractors and machinery you are responsible for maintaining the correct fuel, oil, water and air pressure levels, all lighting is in working condition and all guards are intact, any defects must be reported to Grass Land Manager.
- To keep records regarding health and fertility of the herd.
- To liaise with and take instruction from the Herd Manager and Managing Director
- To liaise with and assist farm staff with the efficient running of the business.
This is a full time position based on a 6 day on, 3 day off working pattern.
This will include week-ends as part of a minimum 48 hour working week.
The rate of pay is £11.67 per hour.
A company pension scheme is in place.
Please click on the apply button below to send your CV direct to the employer of this position.