We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled Grower, preferably with experience in commercial ornamental horticulture to ensure top quality plants are produced on time. Growing 300 varieties in numerous sizes, the role is varied and flexibility is key.
Growing a range of aquatic plants for the trade, therefore we need a grower who understands the importance of high quality to ensure we continue with our expansion plans.
We are looking for someone who understands the basic principles of growing plants, it is not necessary to know about water plants. You will be organised and good at planning, both on an overview and on a day to day basis, getting plants ready and organising teams. They must have a flexible attitude, they need to be ready to react, making sensible, practical decisions quickly to change and adapt and plan.
Be self-motivated with good organisation skills and practical ability.
· Experience working in production horticulture
· Technical knowledge of growing principles, including irrigation, pest and disease control and crop protection.
· Experience of leading a team is preferred (ability to lead is essential)
This role includes, but is not limited to, the following or managing others to do so:
· Propagation by seed, cuttings and division
· Preparation of composts, supervising potting teams, quality control of plant stock
· Planning and stock evaluation for coming season.
· Helping with the management of stock levels and forward planning.
· Coordinate/supervise contractors.
· Weed & pest control in cropping and non-cropped areas.
· Checking and maintaining water system.
· General site maintenance and repairs.
· Maintaining Glasshouse environments, including daily maintenance checks on all relevant machinery and carrying out or organising any maintenance required.
PA1, PA6, Forklift Training etc. would be an advantage but not essential as training will be provided.
There will be a need to work additional hours sometimes.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Team leader
· Positive 'can do ' attitude'
· Attention to detail