Analyst / IT / IoT Engineer
Airponix Ltd (work from home with visits to HO in Cambridge)
Airponix is a dynamic, high growth start-up with an innovative disruptive technology for growing sustainably the food crops of tomorrow. Our soil-less approach, with a patent-protected, nutrient-rich fog (as opposed to use of mists or sprays) that surrounds the roots from which they feed, is a step-change from the current aeroponics or hydroponic solutions of today. We are about to scale-up rapidly, with emphasis on the growing of seed potatoes, and are accordingly looking to build the team to #makeithappen.
We are seeking an equally dynamic new addition to our team, either a recent graduate or with up to 2 years’ work experience to support the team particularly with data measurement and analysis, IT and IoT. There will be scope to tailor this position with significant career progression opportunities.
The role reports directly to the CEO and will predominately be virtual / working from home although will require visits to our Cambridge head office and trial & demonstration facility (Barn4, NIAB, Histon, Cambridge) and other locations where we are operating, both in the UK and abroad. Flexible hours may be negotiated.
The individual should be motivated by the chance to make a significant difference – to help feed the world and safeguard our planet. The position is full-time and requires someone who is self-disciplined, able to work independently and pro-actively, with flexible attitude towards working hours, methods and managing workloads, and is comfortable interacting with people at all levels.
Core responsibilities and activities include:
· Be the company focal point for all data measurement and analysis, IoT and IT systems. (Incumbent will be able to get full training, coaching and support from current IoT Manager who will be departing the business end of October).
· Working closely with our Head Horticulturist, responsible for overall remote monitoring systems, data collection and analysis from our systems currently operating in Scotland, Kenya and England.
· Making comparisons between produced crops from our systems and client’s existing aeroponic or hydroponic growing systems and parameters such as water usage per plant/seed tuber, energy per tuber, seed tubers produced per unit foot print area, cost benefit analysis, sustainability aspects (e.g our systems are reusable while existing utilise huge amounts of plastic each year), etc.
· Procuring and project managing delivery of components and parts such as sensors, PLC control systems, IoT, data storage agreements, etc.
· Involved in setting up and commissioning our fog generation systems at various sites including the installation of the various sensors (humidity, temperature, fertiliser properties, flow meters, etc), PLC control systems, data logging and IoT systems, etc.
· Updating protocols, operating manuals, qualification documents, test plans and test reports for quality assurance purposes.
· Manage R&D activities and supplier contracts.
· Be pro-active and take the initiative in improving the system and helping the team in any way you can with various tasks to play a significant role in the company.
Education / knowledge / experience requirements:
· Graduate level education in engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, or horticulture.
· Technical knowledge and competency.
· Ability to work with and manage data and have strong IT skills like Office 365.
· Clear dedication to excellence and improving the current state of food growing.
· Competent with Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Adobe.
· Ideally to be reasonably competent with video and photo editing, MS Teams, able to give computer and technical support (Windows & MacOS) to rest of team, updating web site (WordPress), etc.
Key required (soft) skills:
· Right attitude, enthusiasm, and ability to adapt
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as a team player
· Ability to engage with clients (growers), research institutions, Board members and investors
· Ability to work independently to produce desired results in the timeframe required
· Proactive and solution-oriented problem solver in a fast-paced environment focussed on end results
· Positive attitude and ability to maintain momentum in ambiguous or difficult situations
· Customer focused and committed to helping projects be successful
· Ability to undertake multiple projects and juggle priorities
· Willingness to travel, both in the UK and abroad
Remuneration, Benefits & Conditions:
Starting remuneration will be around £30,000 dependent on qualifications and experience. A small equity can be granted on a 4 year vesting period if desired.
This is a full-time employed position and starting as soon as possible preferred. It will involve flexible working from home but occasional visiting of our office & test/demonstration facility at Barn4 NIAB, Cambridge, and various operational sites, both in the UK and aboard, will be required.
If you feel you have what it takes and are interested in working with us to make a big difference, then please apply by clicking on the 'Apply Now' button.
Airponix is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, age, religion, colour, marital status, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.