Job Title: Breeding Operations Manager
Vacancy Ref No: 14672 RG
Location: Canada, North America
Our client is a leading Potato Processing Plant located in North America. They now are seeking to recruit a Breeding Operations Manager.
The Industry: Breeding, Operations, Manager, Operations Manager, Propagating, Planting, Cultivating, Harvesting, Storing, Farmer, Farming, Potato, Potatoes, Management, Vegetables, Crops, Agricultural, Agricultural, Machinery, Agricultural Machinery, Growing, Grower, Grower Manager, Greenhouse, Greenhouse Management, Harvest, Harvesting, Spraying, Sprayer, PA1, PA2, PA6.
The Job Role Details:
As a Breeding Operations Manager, you will be responsible for the Management of the day-to-day breeding of all related activities. Involved in the daily operations involved with breeding material production in a greenhouse or field. Planning, organising, to be direct, able to plan and forecast and coordinate activities of workers engaged in crossings. As well as managing the operations of the business you will also have a practical skill set also able to propagate, plant, cultivate, harvest, as well as work in stocks and stores.
- Create and manage annual operational activities plan for the plant breeding program. This includes; forecasting, cost management, purchasing, greenhouse/equipment management Decisions and plans should be determined based on plant data analysis, budget, and overall business needs.
- To be an expert in plant breeding and using this knowledge for the following:
- Determine fertiliser and pesticide rates and potting medium preparation.
- Identify and prevent problems such as diseases, weeds, and insect pests.
- Regular inspection of greenhouse, field, and equipment to provide regular updates and maintenance.
- Prepare soil for planting, and plant or transplant seeds.
- Determine plant growing conditions and set planting, care schedules during the cycle and harvest.
- Manage application of crop protectants:
- Perform proactive crop protection analysis and evaluation on a regular basis.
- Evaluates current farming practices and makes recommendations based on regular analysis of soil, water, and leaf/plants.
- Direct, coordinate and monitor worker activities related to chemical and fertiliser applications and record keeping.
- People management. This is to include, but not limited to, training, performance management, recruitment, and safety/compliance management of the research department.
- Coordinates growing activities with the appropriate departments to ensure clarity of intent and clarity of desired outcomes.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree in Agriculture or Horticulture is required; or Master's Degree in Agriculture or related area is preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience on Greenhouse Management, agricultural equipment operation, potato crop management and harvest that demonstrates successful experience in the potato industry.
- Pesticide Applicator License desired.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, production methods, and management of people and resources.
- Knowledge of farm equipment and machinery and the ability to operate and to effectively train others in the safe operation of such.
- Skill and ability to evaluate systems - identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the company.
- Skill and ability to communicate and provide information to supervisors, peers, or subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail or in person. Clearly communicate with persons outside the organisation, representing the breeding program to farmers, the public and other external stakeholders, or institutions.
£ 32,000 - £ 50,000 p.a. - Experience Dependant
Plus: 10% Annual Incentive Bonus
Benefits: Full benefits package which includes medical, health and dental plan and a retirement plan.
How to apply: Interested candidates should click the 'Apply Now' button, attaching a full up to date copy of their CV.
We thank all applicants who apply for this role. However, please be advised that only those short listed for an interview will be contacted. Please be assured that your job application will be managed in complete confidence and your personal details will not be passed to any third party without your prior permission.
Agricultural and Farming Jobs are an established specialist Agricultural Recruitment business with offices based in rural Worcestershire. We have a specialist and dedicated Headhunting Recruitment Division as well as a specialist Jobs Advertising Division. We recruit specifically for all roles within the Agricultural industry and support the recruitment needs of all related clients including; Farms, Agricultural Machinery, Fresh Produce, Food, Horticultural, Equestrian, Finance and Veterinary companies on an International basis. We offer an exceptional service with a personable, yet highly professional approach.