Location: Any Menter a Busnes' office. (hybrid following a period of working from the office full time for the first 3 months). Staff who live more than 30 miles from their nearest Menter a Busnes office will be able to work from home.
Farming Connect, which is funded by Welsh Government, is a high profile, integrated project which provides support, advice and training to the agricultural sector across the whole of Wales. Its main focus is to support farmers to transition to the Sustainable Farming Scheme and to promote the sector to adapt and remain competitive whilst shifting towards a low carbon economy.
The Job Role:
To provide technical and practicalknowledge and expertise and leadership in grassland within the development and delivery of a high-profile demonstration network through formulating and implementing on-farm projects and knowledge transfer activities in line with future environmental schemes in-line with Welsh Government and the Farming Connect programme priorities.
· Contribute to the development of a high performing team and to ensure actions and work priorities within own expertise are aligned with the team and programme goals
· Will be expected to maintain, and where possible, expand this expertise.
· Actively monitor development in the area of focusing conjunction with the programme’s objectives.
· Participate in external stakeholder events where appropriate and seek opportunities to raise the profile of the team, Farming Connect programme and Menter a Busnes.
· Actively liaise and build relationships with members of Welsh Government at a policy development level.
· Expected to have knowledge of the budgets for projects and areas of work of which they work on but does not have budget authority
· Plan and deliver elements of the demonstration network events, masterclasses, discussion groups, pan-Wales project and CPD for the wider Farming Connect team and delivery partners in area of expertise ensuring alignments and interlinks with Demonstration Network projects and outcomes.
· Lead of the development and management of projects of work in the grassland area of work including the Welsh Pasture Project
· As required, provide input and support for try-out fund projects as directed by line manager, ensuring optimal project set-up, data collection, reporting and knowledge transfer
· Provide expertise and support to the development, coordination of data collection and report writing of pan-Wales projects
· Project planning – in conjunction with the appointed Sector Officers, play an active role in the development and implementation of demonstration network projects ensuring there is no duplication, but rather enhanced complementarity, between projects.
· Outline clear and achievable milestones and objectives for the projects.
· Ensure that Welsh Government’s strategies and policies are incorporated into the demonstration network activity.
· Actively liaise with the KE Hub to ensure project proposals and literature reviews recommendations are implemented throughout the lifetime of projects.
· Oversee management of projects under their expertise and track objectives and identify and provide solutions to rectify issues in a timely and professional manor.
· Ensure appropriate reporting of progress of the project to farmers, stakeholders and management team.
· Ensure that the Farming Connect website is updated regularly with all reports and updates from projects.
· Provide accurate statistics and information at the request of line manager for monthly progress reports, dashboards and industry updates.
· Ensure effective communications of project outcomes via various knowledge transfer dissemination routes through.
· Proactively identify new opportunities for on-farm trials and knowledge transfer
· Attend meetings as requested by the Farming Connect management team
Work Closely With:
o Line Manager, Sector Officers and relevant Development Officers, ensuring the effective planning and implementation of Demonstration Network events across Wales
o Sector managers to ensure results from the demonstration network projects are actively fed-in and included in the masterclasses and CPD delivery
o Marketing and Communications team to ensure that events are promoted according to the integrated marketing and communications strategy to the target audience in an effective and timely manner
o Marketing and Communications team to provide ideas and content as required for development of knowledge transfer materials (including but not limited to the technical publication, FCTV, demonstration farm factsheets, demonstration network booklet)
o Service Centre to ensure that event registration and attendance at events are recorded according to the Service Centre’s innovative registration and attendance recording methods; and that these are submitted to the Service Centre in a timely manner
Other Responsibilities Include:
• Ensure standards for quality, customer service, equality and diversity, health and safety and biosecurity are met
• Accept other reasonable duties and responsibilities as required
• Represent Menter a Busnes as required
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Educated to degree level, or equivalent, in agriculture or related subject
• Strong relationships in the agriculture communities and effective at networking
• Demonstrable experience of working within the specified sector in the agricultural industry in Wales
• Extensive knowledge of agricultural and environmental strategies and policies implemented throughout Wales, via Common Agricultural Policy, Rural Development Plan and newer post-Brexit schemes
• Evidence of project management skills
• Ability to disseminate themes, research findings and programme content in a practical and clear manner relevant to the audience
• Able to develop and integrate new services in an effective and timely manner
• Able to make difficult and timely decisions for the benefit of the business and/or service, including raising appropriate concerns regarding service delivery, budgets and staff/sub-contractors
• Advanced presentation and interpersonal skills
• Proactive problem solver and team player
• A self-motivator, accepting responsibility for setting and reviewing priorities for achieving targets, with a clear focus on quality
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent IT skills including - Windows; Productivity software (e-mail, word processors, spreadsheets, file storage); Safe usage of computers and the internet (searching and browsing the web, using websites and online applications)
• If working from home for any period, you will be required to already have a suitable internet connection
• Full driving licence and use of a car
Desirable Skills and Experience:
• Oral and written bilingual (Welsh/English) communication skills
• Knowledge of the Farming Connect Programme
Menter a Busnes provides language skills training to every staff member who wishes to develop their use of Welsh.
If you would like an informal discussion about this post, please contact Siwan Howatson on 07399 783 398 or email@example.com
How to apply:
We will hold the interviews for this position on the week beginning 18 December 2023.
Equality and Diversity Declaration
Menter a Busnes is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds. We therefore welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of sex, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, trans identity, relationship status, religion or belief, caring responsibilities, or age. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, for most roles we will consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.