Job Title: Plant Breeding Technician - Canada
Vacancy Ref No: 14673 RG
Location: Canada, North America
Our client is a leading Potato Processing Plant located in North America. They now are seeking to recruit a Agricultural Research & Development Manager.
The Industry: Plant Breeding, Agronomy, Technician, Research, Reports, Data Collection, Statistical, Innovation, Biology, Tissue Culture, Pollination, Farmer, Farming, Potato, Potatoes, Plants, Planting, Vegetables, Crops, Agricultural, Agricultural, Growing, Grower, Grower Manager, Greenhouse, Harvest, Harvesting.
The Job Role Details:
As a Plant Breeding Technician, you will be report direct to the Plant Breeder. Responsible for assisting and working with the Plant Breeding team in developing new potato varieties; with the objective of improving raw production quality, yield, and in turn overall customer satisfaction. The successful candidate will have theoretical knowledge, however will also be comfortable working hands-on on a Farm, with applied practical skills.
- Gather, interpret, and record research and data collection, data entry and basic statistical analysis.
- Organise and maintain accurate and timely test results, files, and records; ability to write a report.
- Assistance in planning, organising, and conducting scientific research in breeding.
- Management of plants in the greenhouse and growth chambers including planting, watering, managing growth conditions, emasculation's, pollination's, and seed harvest, clean-up and storage preparation.
- Identification, evaluation and use of appropriate procedures to allow successful completion of experiments; data analysis using appropriate statistical procedures; summarising research results, assist in presenting results.
- Rating of the crossing performance, maintenance of the data/records.
- Plan and installation of small research plots.
- Execution of field, greenhouse, and laboratory trials.
- Coordination and supervision of temporary seasonal activities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree required in Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Agriculture, Crop & Weed Sciences.
- Minimum of two years of working full time in a plant breeding program.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, multidisciplinary research environment.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn.
- Computer experience in the use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and database programs, Statistic software.
- Valid driver's license.
- Certified Pesticide Applicators License or ability to be certified.
- Work with farm equipment an asset.
- Must be capable of lifting 50+ pounds.
- Work outside under challenging weather conditions.
- Work longer hours seasonally, including weekends when needed for planting and harvest.
- Minimum 2 year's experience working in tissue culture laboratories.
£ 32,000 - £ 50,000 p.a. - Experience Dependant
Benefits: Full benefits package which includes medical, health and dental plan and a retirement plan.
How to apply: Interested candidates should click on the 'Apply Now' button, attaching an up to date copy of their CV.
We thank all applicants who apply for this role. However, please be advised that only those short listed for an interview will be contacted. Please be assured that your job application will be managed in complete confidence and your personal details will not be passed to any third party without your prior permission.
Agricultural and Farming Jobs are an established specialist Agricultural Recruitment business with offices based in rural Worcestershire. We have a specialist and dedicated Headhunting Recruitment Division as well as a specialist Jobs Advertising Division. We recruit specifically for all roles within the Agricultural industry and support the recruitment needs of all related clients including; Farms, Agricultural Machinery, Fresh Produce, Food, Horticultural, Equestrian, Finance and Veterinary companies on an International basis. We offer an exceptional service with a personable, yet highly professional approach.